At a glance
- Free of charge
- Chip-enabled, providing you with the highest level of card payment security
- Visa Platinum Website
- Discounts at merchant partners across Mauritius.
- Worldwide Discount
Platinum Card Protection:-
- Medical & Legal referrals
- Purchase Protection: Cover up to USD 1,500 per item, USD 5,000 per incident and USD 20,000 per year maximum. Protection is subject to an excess of USD 50 for each item and occurrence
- Extended Warranty: Cover up to USD 1,500 per item, USD 5,000 per incident and USD 20,000 per year maximum up to 24 months from the date the item is purchased
- Lost & Stolen card reporting service
- Emergency Card replacement
- Emergency Cash disbursement
- Private Banking customer
- Minimum Point of Sales (POS) spending of Rs 200,000 per annum
Is the Platinum Debit Card free of charge?
Yes, except for replacement cards.
How secure is a Platinum Debit Card?
SBM Debit Cards are chip-enabled which makes the card totally secure. Even if you lose your card all you need to do is call us immediately on our cards hotline (230) 202 1256, available on a 24/7 basis, or on (230) 207 0111 between 08hr00 to 18hr00 on weekdays and we will cancel your card.
Does a customer need to hold an account with SBM to have a debit card?
Yes. A savings or a current account is required.
Can it be used other than on SBM ATMs?
Yes, on any ATM or POS machine worldwide displaying the Visa and/or MasterCard or Cirrus logo. However, if used at non-SBM ATMs an interbank fee is payable.
Will the merchant charge me an additional fee for paying with my card?
No, the cost of an item is the same whether you pay by card or cash.
Can it be used if no balance is available in the account?
No, unless there is an overdraft limit on a current account.
Is there any limit on the ATM withdrawals allowed with an SBM Platinum Debit Card?
At any point in time, the maximum amount you can withdraw is Rs 40,000 per day. Moreover, for security reasons, more than 4 ATM transactions on the same day is not allowed.
Can a higher daily withdrawal limit be set on the card?
Yes. A higher individual limit can be considered upon request e.g. when travelling abroad. A written request must be made via any SBM branch.
Can a Platinum Debit Card be used on the internet for online purchases?
No. Customers need to apply for a credit card or prepaid card to effect purchases on the internet.
Will statements be generated showing all Platinum Debit Card transactions?
Yes, the bank will mail customers their statements on a monthly/quarterly basis.
Customers having internet banking facilities can also view their transactions online.
Can supplementary cards be issued on the same account?
No. However, individual cards can be issued to each party of a joint account.
Does the card have an expiry date?
Yes, a Debit Card is valid for 5 years and is automatically renewed upon expiry.